Tis the season to be thankful. I know it has been awhile since I sent an email update and wanted to share some highlights from the last several months.
I spent summer in the mountains and finished one of my major goals from the past couple years: I summited Mount Rainier and stood on top of my 5th Washington volcano. A project that has spanned five years. In addition to Rainier, I trained with heavy packs and was able to summit other peaks, like Eldorado and Sloan.
I haven’t been back east for fall foliage since moving to the PNW. My favorite season in the east, I was itching to go back. Since most of the year I had a remote job, I planned an epic road trip to tick off 6 new U.S. states I had yet to visit while hiking to 3 states’ high peaks, Mount Katahdin in Maine, Mount Washington in New Hampshire, and Mount Marcy in New York.
PLUS, we got a camper van!
After not having a corporate job since February 2017, I finally bit the bullet and am contracting for a company in Seattle. Even though it has been an adjustment to commuting and being at a desk again, I’m enjoying the perks of a full-time job, more money and cheaper insurance!
I’m staying local for the holidays and am itching for the snow to start falling in the mountains by embracing the Seattle rain.
- 9 After-Work Training Hikes near Seattle
- Travel Guide: 8 Things to Do in Ketchikan, Alaska
- The Best Navigation App: How to Use Gaia GPS
- Summiting Maine’s Mount Katahdin via the Knife Edge Route
- 2-Week New England Road Trip: The Perfect Fall Foliage Itinerary
- Scrambling up Mount Washington on the Huntington Ravine Trail
- Hiking Basics: How to Choose a Hiking Trail
- How to Razor Clam in Washington: What I Learned
Where I traveled:
- July: Seattle tourist with sister in-laws, Westport, Washington
- August: Leavenworth, Washington, Ketchikan, Alaska
- September: Olympic Peninsula, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire
- October: Vermont, New York, Pennsylvania
- November: Olympic Peninsula, Canada
- June: Goat Rocks backcountry skiing, Teanaway peaks, Exit 38 climbing, Mount Baker mountaineering, and Camp Schurman mountaineer training
- July: Camp Muir, Sloan Peak mountaineering, Washington river floats, Exit 38 climbing, and Eldorado mountaineering
- August: Mount Rainier – Emmons route summit, Leavenworth mountain biking and climbing, hiking and salmon fishing in Ketchikan, and Washington hiking
- September: Backpacking to the Enchanted Valley, self-rescue climbing course in Leavenworth, hiking and camping in Acadia National Park, hiking Mount Katahdin, and hiking Mount Washington
- October: Hiking Mount Marcy, climbing at the Gunks, hiking in North Cascades, and climbing at Vantage
- November: Razor clamming on the Olympic Peninsula, and skiing in Whistler
What’s next for December?
Want to know what I have planned? Sign up for my monthly emails for an exclusive update.